To all WA jockeys this is of great interest, to read article click on the Jockeys feature link.
Hylands Sportswear have advised me that they are currently out of stock of Jayco Silks. However they are expecting a shipment this week. All riders who have not received their silks yet will hopefully receive them within the next two weeks.
Congratulations go to Apprentice Aaron Rogers who received his permit to ride in races this week. Aaron is Apprentice to Bob Maumill at Lark Hill and can ride at 50kgs. Please contact Bob to secure Aaron’s services.
Banned Substances for Jockeys
Racing Victoria Limited in conjunction with the Victorian Jockeys Association, Racing Analytical Services and Dr Gary Zimmerman have prepared the following list of banned substances.
The following substances are banned for all jockeys:
GHB – G, little G
Cannabis – Marijuana, hash, hashish
All diuretics –
* · Lasix
* · Frusemide
* · Moduretic
* · Midamor
* · Aldactone
* · Spiractin
* · Chlotride
* · Hydrothiazide
Probenicid – Agent used for treating gout which works as a masking agent.
Alcohol – If reading > 0.02% on breath alcohol content (BAC)
* · Amphetamines
* · Methamphetamine (speed, crystal meth, ICE)
* · Cocaine
* · Ecstasy
* · Ephedrine
**Stimulant substances excluded in this group are Pseudoephedrine (Sudafed), Levo amphetamine, Levo-methylamphetamine (Vicks Vapor Inhaler), Phenylpropranolamine (PPA).
Anorectics (appetite suppressants) –
* · Phentermine (Duromine)
* · Diethylproprion (Tenuate Dospan / Anorex / Tenuate / Linea / Nobesine / Prefamone / Regenon / Tepanil)
* · Sibutramine (Reductil)
Opiates / opioids
* · Heroin (crack, H)
Prescription / OTC group –
* · Morphine
* · Kapanol (oral form)
* · Codeine (Panadeine / Panadeine forte / Codapane / Codalgin)
* · Oxycodone (Oxycontin / Roxicodone / Endone)
* · Fentanyl(Actiq / Durogesic / Fentora / Sublimaze / Instanil)
* · Alfentanil (Alfenta / Rapifen)
* · Pethidine
* · Methadone
* · Hydromorphone (Laudicon / Opidol / Palladone)
* · Buprenorphine (Bupe / Suboxone),
* · Pholcodine (Codeine based cough mixture in linctus form)
* · Propoxyphene (Di-Gesic / Darvon)
* · Dihydrocodeine (Rikodeine cough mixture)
* · Dextromorphan (Cough mixture)
ALLOWANCES WITH OPIATES:
1. If level of codeine / morphine is below a certain level.
2. If on confirmatory testing the range is appropriate and the ration of codeine to morphine is > 1.0 or the rider satisfies stewards that there is no illegal use.
* · Ketamine (K / Special K)
* · Ketamine (K /Special K)
* · Phencyclidine
* · Tiletamine
* · Diethyltryptamine (DMT)
* · Alphamethyltryptamine (AMT)
* · Hydroxydimethyltryptamine (HMT)
All Benzodiazepines (BDZ)
* · Diazepam (Valium / Antenex)
* · Nordiazepam
* · Oxazepam (Serepax)
* · Temazepam (Temaze / Normison)
* · Alprazolam (Xanax / Zannys / Bricks)
* · Clonazepam (Paxam / Rivotril)
* · Flunitrazepam (Rohypnol / Rohys)
* · Nitrazepam (Mogadon)
* · Bromazepam (Lexotan / Lexys)
* · Flumazenil (Mazicon, Romazicon)
* · Lorazepam (Ativan)
* · Midazolam (Hypnovel)
* · Triazolam (Halcion / Trilam / Hypam)
* · BENZODIAZEPINE “LIKE” DRUGS – Zolpidem (Stilnox / Noxys), Zopiclone (Immovane), Zalplon (Sonata / Starnoc)
Tell your doctor the following drugs are prohibited (not allowed):
* · Amphetamine* and related substances
* · Barbiturates*, Codeine, morphine and other S8 narcotics*
* · Anorectics (phentermine, diethylpropion, sibutramine)
* · Diuretics* (frusemide, hydrochlorthiazide, indapamide and others)
* · Benzodiazepines* and benzodiazepine receptor agonists*
* · Dissociative Anaesthetics (ketamine), Uricosurics(probenecid)
*Under some circumstances these may be permitted if prescribed by your doctor who must be willing and able to certify your fitness to ride while taking the particular drug prescribed. Use of these medicines should be cleared with the Stewards prior to riding.
All riders can now order their new JAYCO silks for this season. Riders are asked to phone Hylands Sportswear on (03)9571 7515 as soon as possible and order their silks. Please remember to notify them that you are from WA.
Aged 31 years
It is with great sadness the Australian Jockeys Association acknowledges
the tragic passing of Stathi Katsidis.
Stathi had just completed the most successful year of his riding career.
He had been named the winner of the George Moore Award for Queensland Jockey of the Year following his premiership winning season, highlighted by his successes on Military Rose in the Magic Millions and Shoot Out in the AJC Derby.
Stathi’s untimely and sudden death is an opportunity to honour his contribution to the racing industry.
On track he was fiercely competitive, always ready to speak his mind and with a passion for the industry.
Those who knew him well held him in the highest regard away from the track as well. He was a genuine, caring and generous young man for whom family meant everything.
The condolences of all riders and the racing community in general are with Stathi’s family and his partner Melissa Jackson and her son Brooklyn.
“Rest in peace”
Australian Jockeys Association
All members are reminded that the WAJA AGM is on tomorrow. We will be starting at 10:30am Sharp. See you there. Anyone needing more information Contact Lucas or Craig.
All Members are reminded that they need to inform us if they will be attending the AGM on Thursday 23rd September. Members need to RSVP by Friday 10th September to Lucas, as we need to cater for the day. If you would like more information about the AGM please contact Lucas or Craig.
A funeral will be held for ‘Youngy’ this Tuesday 7th September at 2:30pm at Karrakatta Cemetery, Railway Road, Karrakatta.
Following the service a wake will be held from 4pm onwards at the Bel Eyre Tavern, 287 Great Eastern Hwy Belmont, to celebrate the life of our good mate ‘Youngy’.
We are saddened this week by the loss of our good friend David Young. ‘Youngy’ As most of us new him was a gentleman of the industry. He was always happy to lend a hand to anyone in need and he was a genuine ‘good bloke’.
A support line has been set up for any of our members who are having trouble dealing with this news, or anyone who would just like to talk to someone. Dr Neil McLean, Sports Psychologist, is our contact. He can be contacted on 6488 3580. Any member contacting Neil is asked to advise them that you are a member of the WA Jockeys Association.
Information about a memorial for Youngy will posted on the website when it becomes available.